The artists who made this altarpiece with wood carvings and decorated shutters, clearly sought inspiration in the Old and New Testament. In its current layout, however, the piece is the result of a thorough restoration by Antwerp sculptor Pierre Peeters who, from 1903 to 1905, combined it with five old paintings of St Laurence he had found, turning the whole into a magnificent work of art.
The current church of St Laurence has all the features of a typical village church in the Maasland region, including capitals decorated with water plants and a late gothic vaulted ceiling from 1476 in the choir. The church tower is even older and was built in 1411. This makes the building one of the most important churches in the Limburg Campine region.